The most recent module of our Business Mastery Program dove deep into Delegation & Coaching as a follow up to our Culture, Team Work, and Productive Meetings session. Here is what we touched on from my notes during our workshop:
- What your job is as a manager of the company
- How to get your work done THROUGH other people
- Doing vs. Monitoring vs. Micromanaging
- Why some managers pay people to watch them do work (!!)
- How too many business owners end up with a dozen monkeys on their back – and how to prevent any monkeys
- The right way to use questions to scale your business
- How to prevent a growing paid audience of employees
- How to find the right solutions and systems in your business
- Why your team’s solutions are better than yours
- Where to use results in your systems – and where not to
- How Visa was doing trillions of dollars in transactions with only ~100 employees
- Why one Visa’s management principles was “We will all buy into a world that we create.”
- How to get maximum buy in from your team members on your systems
- What motivator is way more important than money to employees
- How much each five minute interruption actually costs you (per UC Davis)
- When you do – and don’t – want employees interrupting you.
- How to encourage employees to come up with solutions to their questions
- When to delegate the creation of a system – and when not to
- Which processes to systematize
- How to test your systems
- The Delegation Do’s and Don’ts from Strategic Coach
- When to update your team on key priorities
- How to support your team in leveraging you best
- How to be clear about your team’s level of authority.
- When to expect your team to be able to read your mind
- The danger of “drive-by-delegations.”
- How to estimate the actual time it takes to do things (not by you!)
- Underestimate your team’s capabilities.
- What micromanagement actually means
- The best way to demotivate your team
- The most common mistake of new managers
- Why Henry Ford once said “I hired them for their hands, but I found they came equipped with a mind, too”
- The dangers of being “the King” with all the answers and ideas
- Who to hire to create freedom
- What made Sir Richard Branson say “If you really want to grow as an entrepreneur, you’ve got to learn to delegate”
- How to know who on your team to delegate to – and how to never delegate to
- The 7 things to look for in someone before they create a system with/for you
- Why Michael Gerber says “If it’s not written, it’s not a system. There are no systems that aren’t written.”
- The danger of violating the the “3×3” interview system
- How to use Position Agreements in interviewing
- When to address an issue with an employee and what happens when you don’t
- How confrontation doesn’t have to be negative
- How to use the COACH process for difficult conversations.
- Why Jack Welch said that “My main job was developing talent. I was a gardener providing water and other nourishment to our top 750 people. Of course, I had to pull out some weeds too.”
Want to join us for a future Business Mastery session or catch the full replay of the session above? Join us for a Mastermind Test Drive to see if our Mastermind is a fit for you. Mastermind Members get full access to our live and recorded Business Mastery sessions like the one above!
Who’s Your Peer Advisory Group?
Who do you bounce ideas off with, get expert insights from, and share resources with?
Ready to connect with like minded Business Owners, Founders, and Entrepreneurs who’ve “been there, done that” ?